Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grandmas=memories

I subscribe to a daily devotional called Girlfriends in God and one of them in particular really hit home this week. The verse used was from Titus 2:3-5:
Older women…encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home.
The writer went on to talk about how her grandma and all the time she would spend with her when she was young. The time involved no trips to the mall and no fast food, rather they would spend time baking, cooking, or sewing. She went on to tell that she realized now that her grandma was acting as Titus speaks of. Her grandma didn’t leave her a huge sum of money, instead she left her something much more valuable: memories of them doing things together, showing her how to become a woman of God, and leaving a legacy that causes us to “rise up and call you blessed”.

This instantly made me think of both my grandmas: Delores and Adelle. Each summer my cousins and I would spend a week at my Grandma Delores’ house. We would have tea parties with homemade goodies, learn how to bake cakes and frost them with fancy designs, design wreathes, make candles, build tree-houses, pick apples, and the list could go on and on. Another treat was every night as we all sat around our home-made beds on the floor (so we could all sleep by each other of course!) she would give us a foot rub as we told add-on stories and said our prayers. My Grandma Delores has left us cousins with so many wonderful memories and skills that I treasure to this day.

Since my sister and I are the only girl grand-daughters on my dad’s side and we only lived a couple miles away from my dad's parents, we had a little more time to spend with my grandma Adelle. My grandma Adelle was a FABULOUS seamstress. She made all of her own clothes growing up and she made my sister and I numerous outfits including our first communion dresses, a gorgeous pageant dress when I was in the fourth grade, numerous Easter dresses, and even some matching doll clothes! It was always a treat to sew with my grandma because she knew all the best techniques for finishing an outfit with a professional touch. She was also a perfectionist, so every outfit was impeccable. My grandma Adelle fueled my passion for sewing and believe it or not, she always knew the latest styles too! As my grandma Adelle is now resting with the good Lord, I think of her so often when I sew. She, just like my Grandma Delores, were giving me something much more valuable than material objects, they gave me memories and skills that I use to this day.  They both are such wonderful examples of unconditional love to their husbands, families, and grandchildren…just as Titus talks of.

Even more my grandmas are such an inspiration to me. God blessed my grandmas with amazing skills and talents and I am thankful that they shared them with me!  It makes me truly think about the legacy that I want to leave behind for Delaney. I hope that I can instill in her that a life filled with God in your heart is better than any huge inheritance!

REJOICE!


No comments:

Post a Comment